Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Priorities

This morning, around 1:45 I awoke to Hunter screaming bloody murder through the monitor. I went into check on him and pulled him up to me and we went back into our bedroom and sat on the bed and I rocked him back to sleep. He was sound asleep in minutes and I have no idea what had originally upset him. But we just sat there, rocking for 10 minutes or more because it had been weeks since I had had to rock my baby back to sleep and while I don’t miss the loss of sleep, I do miss the quiet bonding we had in the wee hours of the morning. Soon, there will be no more nights like this for me and Hunter and that thought made me cry. It makes me cry again as I write this. In a few months there will be another baby to rock to sleep in the middle of the night and I’m so scared that I won’t remember how special it was to rock my sweet Hunter. Sure, he won’t be so old that he will NEVER need rocked, but not like he needs rocked now, not like he did just two months ago. So now, when he does wake in the middle of the night, I will rock him just a few extra minutes before putting him back in his crib and forgo those extra minutes of sleep, because after all…which is really more important?

1 comment:

  1. I remember being very emotional right before Preston was born. I thought I was taking away her babiness by bringing in someone else. It was hard, but Taylynn and I made some great memories before he was born, some I don't think I'll ever forget.

    ReplyDelete