Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Long and Lovely Weekend

Since having the baby and being home, it's hard to distinguish a weekend from a weekday most of the time but this past Memorial weekend was certainly one that we made the most of. It was full of family and fun...just the way that I love them.
We kicked off our Saturday by doing what the weekend was intended for - honoring our loved ones that have died. My parents, Hunter and I made the cemetary rounds. Our first stop was Fort Leavenworth where my mom's dad is buried. Military cemetaries are so beautiful, especially on Memorial weekend. It was nice to get to "introduce" Hunter to my grandpa. They would have gotten along splendidly, I'm sure of it. Our next stop was Independence, MO where my uncle is buried. I stayed in the car at the cemetary there because Hunter was sleeping but Mom and Dad left flowers and shared a moment with Uncle Jim. Before leaving the Kansas City area we stopped to see my Grandma. She's been having trouble with her knees lately and isn't able to get around much. But a chubby little baby will cheer anyone up.
Photobucket
After our stop with Grandma it was back on the road. We stopped for lunch in Lawrence before heading on to Overbrook where my dad's parents are buried. Once again we "introduced" Hunter to a few more family members that would have loved him as much as we all do.
Once we got home that night and got the little guy to bed I headed out to spend time with some good friends of mine. My dear friend Julie was in town from Philly those available met up at the bar for a little cocktails and catching up.
Photobucket
Sunday was family fun day! My Uncle Mike and Aunt Sharon hosted a family cookout at their house. It seems like everytime that our family gets together, someone has a new baby. This time the newest baby on the block was the beautiful daughter of my cousin (might as well be brother) Adam and his wife Tammy. Little Layla is sweet as can be. At almost a month old, she now weighs as much as little Hunter did when he was born.
Photobucket
My favorite little diva in the world was there too. My sweet sweet niece Camryn was there. I can't believe how much she has grown since I saw her less than a month ago at her first birthday. She's a walkin' talkin' fool these days, and obviously much too cool.
Photobucket
Not to be outdone, little Hunter donned his outdoor gear for some quality time by the pool.
Photobucket
Daddy also decided to introduce the little guy to a little game of washers and found that his game was uneffected by little Hunto - the hands free model.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Monday was quite the exciting day for Chad. He started off the morning by heading down to the farm with my dad to do a little bow fishing. That's right, regular fishing just wasn't challenging enough so he wanted to see if he could get something with his bow instead. Wouldn't you know it. First shot, first arrow and the guy gets one! Made his day...now I just wish he'd quit talking about it. :)
Photobucket
The afternoon was spent relaxing in Holton on the in-law's back porch and in their hot tub while Grandma cooed over the baby.
Such a great weekend. Wouldn't change a thing about it. I just wish that such fun could happen more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment