Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A Baby Story!

February 10, 2009...

After one very sleepless night we arrived at the hospital at about 5:45 am. By 6:30 I was gowned up and tapped in to my pitocin. The monitor showed that I was already contracting regularly so the hopes that things would go quickly increased. At 8:30 the doctor came in to break my water. By 10 the contractions were pretty intense. I tried to tough them out as long as I could...which wasn't very long. It was shocking how much pain was on my legs. It was a totally unexpected sensation. Around 11 I received my epidural which was great. I had no intentions of going natural. I figure that I've earned my stripes by carrying the little guy for nine months. Having him naturally wasn't going to make me any more of a hero. My epidural had only been in for about an hour when I started to feel everything on my right side again. The anesthesiologist came back and upped the ante...nice...very nice. Except that now I was pretty much numb everywhere, not just below my waist. My arms tingled.
By about 2:45 I was dialated to an 8. I told Chad that if he wanted to go home and feed the dog, this was his last chance. Off he went. Thankfully my mom was there and stayed in the room with me. This is where it starts to get blurry...
The nurse appears to be staring very intently at the monitor and not saying much. Without much comment she pulls out an oxygen mask and straps it on me. Around 3 Chad comes back in and the nurse informs us that I'm complete and it's time to start pushing. This is the point where mom got the boot.
The nurse had me do a few practice pushes at which point I notice that the epidural has worn off again - on both sides this time. Ouch!
Following the practice pushes the doctor comes in and checks me. People are moving around quickly and no one is really speaking to Chad or me. Finally I hear them say something about forceps. I was so confused. I thought they only used those if the baby was taking forever to come out. We hadn't even started trying to get him out...why would I need those? Then I realized that the doctor was trying to turn the baby. While he was head down, his head was turned to the side. With every contraction the baby's heartbeat was dropping (decels) and they needed to get him out. They weren't sure if the cord was around his neck or what could be causing the decels. They were going to start with the forceps but because of the way that his head was turned they were unable. Next thing I know the doctor is calling for a "stat section". Within seconds there are 5 nurses in the room unhooking things and rehooking new things and wheeling me out. I didn't get to say bye to Chad and I was terrified.
The c-section room was full of nurses who had me in place and ready in no time. My BFF the anesteseologist was back. This time they hit me hard core with the epidural. If it didn't take fast enough, they would have to put me completely under. Thankfully it took. Once they were sure that it was going to take, they let Chad in the room. He looked great, even though my teary eyes he was my knight in blue paper scrubs! :) Next thing I know he's at my side and there is some tugging and then joyful sounds as my little guy entered the world. Within seconds he was crying...just like his mommy. We got a quick look before they took him over to the warmer to be cleaned up and checked out. Laughter erupted as our little stinker decided to pee on the nurses three times before they could get him cleaned up and back to us. We were in love from the moment we laid eyes on him, and that love has only grown since...
That day was insanity. I had never experienced such a range of emotions in such a short period of time.
The doctor apologized several times for not being able to give me the birth that I had wanted but as far as I was concerned - the end justified the means.

Hunter Richard - Born 2.10.09 at 3:40pm. 8lb5oz, 19.5 inches

1 comment:

  1. I am always around if you ever want to do a play date. Are you still in Topeka?